Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Listening, the greater sense.

Education and life teach you to enhance many things, but little or now attention is paid to the critical skill of listening. In many instances, in an attempt to fit in, we are so busy thinking about our next thought that we pay only slight attention to what is being said. Learning how to perfect the skill of listening will provide you with great returns and much better understanding of the world around you. Perhaps, an even greater sill is the ability to hear that which is not said and understand the role silence plays in an otherwise verbal conversation.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

An appropriate mindset is the key to active listening. The active listener must assume responsibility for knowing when and how to tune in.When and how to take notes, and when and how to give appropriate feedback.
Sample item relating to Staying Focused:
I remain focused on what the other person is saying even when I am not that interested in his or her subject matter.

Sample item relating to Capturing the Message:
I watch for nonverbal cues (such as tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language) that contradict the other person’s verbal message.

Things I have tried to do in order to be a better listener.
I remain focused on what the other person is saying even when I am not that interested in his or her subject matter.
I watch for nonverbal cues (such as tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language) that contradict the other person’s verbal message.
If the other person loses his or her train of thought, I offer assistance by restating the point.

These are only a few examples.

I understand fully the need for people to be heard.

jennifer said...

well, I'm going to have to start typing these up in word perfect before I post them rofl. I repeated myself :)

ndc20003 said...

active listening is a useful technique; however, as any technique, its efficacy depends on the degree of openness one is capable of underneath that technique. I know of active listeners who are close minded and the whole thing is undermined. btw; this is not to negate the previous comments